March 22, 2010 Show: Staying Young, Healthy and Vibrant in a Toxic World. An interview with Jackie Silver, Author of “Aging Backwards: Secrets to Staying Young.”March 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM | Posted in Conscious Lifestyles Radio Show Blog, Eco Living and Lifestyle, Environment, Environmental Stewardship, Healthy Cosmetics, Organic Health, Safe Cosmetics and Body Care, Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Tags: Health, Wellness, Organic Lifestyles, Healthy Food Choices, Natural Youth and Beauty, The Sun is Good, Green Smoothies, Exercise, Attitude, Meditation, Respect for Planet and God's Garden
“The greatest wealth is health.” — Virgil
Jackie Silver’s book reveals the secrets to being young, fit, healthy, and vibrant at any age…. and debunks many of the myths that are falsely reported.
Check out Jackie’s web site: http://www.agingbackwards.com and find out how she looks so young at the age of 50 that she still gets ‘carded’ and asked for her I.D.!
– Raw, green vegetables, organic raw fruits and whole, unprocessed foods and a mindfulness to her daily practice of nourishing one’s body is at the core of being healthy. — It is simply impossible to be healthy without feeding your temple the best possible food.
I personally love Green Smoothies, and all Fruit/Veggie Smoothies and fresh juicing practices. This is a great way to get your daily vitamins, and after only a few days of this healthy life choice, you will look in the mirror and see a vibrant face and clear skin!
– Exercise. Jackie explained to us how she practices Dr. Al Sears’ method and exercises only 12 minutes a day! She talked about being in the best shape of her life, and has never had a weight problem again after practicing what she has learned from Dr. Sears’ Center for Health and Wellness. Check out Dr. Sears’ “Pace” Program on Jackie’s web site, http://www.agingbackwards.com, or visit Dr. Sears’ web page at http://www.mypureradiance.com.
– Sunshine. Vitamin D. Everyone needs it. The myth that you should slather on a ton of toxic sunscreen and stay completely out of the sun is FALSE. Jackie explained how everyone needs a bit of sun everyday, and she makes a point to help her body rejuvenate itself naturally by getting the 15 minutes of sun she needs each day. All skin types are different, and require different amounts of sunshine to develop Vitamin D, but EVERYONE needs sun. Additionally, we both talked about the toxic sunscreens that actually CAUSE degenerative diseases and damage skin cells and should be avoided.
I mentioned on the show my favorite, HEALTHY, NON-Toxic, “good for your skin” sunscreen, and you can get it at: http://www.highvibe.com. This sunscreen has amazing vitamins and minerals in the formula that make your skin feel and look totally amazing! I wear it everyday under my makeup, and my skin is healthy, youthful, happy…. and my liver is protected because I am not putting transdermal chemicals into my body!
Jackie talked in depth of the supplement called “Radiance” from Dr. Sears that she takes every day that helps to create Vitamin D in your body as you get your daily dose of sunshine.
– “Facial Magic” facial exercises are part of Jackie’s secret. Check out http://www.agingbackwards.com to get this youth producing secret for yourself!
– Defy Genetics. Jackie tells her readers to defy whatever you’ve been told run in your family… don’t use this as a crutch to stay out of shape, or to allow yourself to get Diabetes, heart disease, etc…… These diseases are ALL avoidable and are the direct result of diet and lifestyle choices. Period. You don’t need to be running to an Allopathic Doctor, who knows virtually nothing about Nutrition and truthful healthcare, and your life may depend upon your own choices to make the Organic, Holistic life changing steps to better health and longevity.
– Attitude. Visualization. Mediation. Thoughts. All are important to being grounded, realizing your higher power and owning your self esteem as a person who is entitled to be here, and to give the world your own, unique gifts that you are here to fulfill. Step into your higher power. Surround yourself with enlightened, honorable human beings, and create an environment of love for the earth, animals, and all of life.
– Every woman needs a sacred, beautiful place for herself to restore and heal. Make a space for yourself that is all your own.
– Organically, cleanly-made cosmetics and facial products [and body products] are the single most important factor in starting on a path to natural beauty. Check out my radio show on March 8, 2010, with Susie Wang, the founder of 100% Pure Cosmetics and my blog for this show.
In love and light….
March 15, 2010 Show: Thinking of a Remodel for your home? Don’t do anything without first checking out ConstructionCoach.comMarch 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM | Posted in Be Careful With Contractors, Build Green Save The Planet, Conscious Lifestyles Radio Show Blog, Eco Living and Lifestyle, How To Remodel/Build Green and NOT Get Ripped Off! | Leave a comment
Tags: Architects, bad contractors, Construction, Contractors, Engineers, finding qualified home contractors, Green Building, home building, home improvement, home remodeling, protecting homeowner
“When someone shows you who they are…. believe them the first time.”
— Maya Angelou
My interview with Sabine Schoenberg, the founder of ConstructionCoach.com revealed just a few pitfalls that any homeowner could fall prey to…..
There are more “Lemons” in the building/contracting industry when it comes to home improvement than any other industry in America. No other industry has enjoyed so much power over the consumer, and causes more complaints to State Consumer Departments.
Our candid discussion talks openly about some of the horrifying trickery that my family and I were subjected to…. and how this is all too common in the home building/remodeling industry.
Preparation, and then more investigation is necessary prior to starting ANY project– whether ‘small’ or large scale– because the crocodiles are awaiting regardless of what kind of an economy there is, but especially when the economy is less about “spec building” and more about “homeowner related remodeling.”
– Require Surety Bonds from ALL Contractors you do business with. This ensures the Homeowner that the company will stand behind their work, and if they don’t properly repair/pay for any damages, then the Surety Bond will pay the Homeowner.
– All consumers need to be aware that the local Building Department Inspectors are NOT perfect and the WILL miss some critical mistakes in workmanship. The local Building Departments are not liable for their own errors and omissions, so the homeowner MUST hire a qualified Owner’s Representative to double-check workmanship prior to any payments to Contractors are made. The homeowner is sadly left with the myriad of expensive fixes if important protective steps are not taken.
– Trust no one. Sabine Schoenberg explained in my interview with her that one of the most common complaints from homeowners who were badly duped is that they all said the contractor seemed “SO NICE” in the beginning of the project! Don’t trust glossy brochures, references on a piece of paper, slick talking, or manipulative [and very convincing] words to make you let your guard down. Often times, contractors have dubious past records and even criminal records.
– Never give in or “downgrade” your standards or requests. This is a big one to be aware of when it comes to manipulation. White Collar professionals in the building industry, such as Architects and Engineers, are all too often guilty of simply being too lazy to give the Client what they want…. so they either ignore the Client’s requests entirely or go through great lengths to convince the Client that they really don’t want the high standards that they are asking for. Don’t subject yourself.
– Sabine talked very squarely about how the Homeowner keeps hoping for the best when things are faltering and not going as planned. She advised that to stop the project and to re-evaluate and even take the steps to terminate a contractor who is not up to your expectations IS exactly what you should be taking action upon…. and sooner better than later. Sabine also stated that this is why you should always start a project with a qualified Owner’s Representative to oversee this process so that you, as the homeowner, are not subjected to the many twisted mind games that any given Contractor will play with the unknowing Homeowner only to ‘bide more time’ on the project when it is clear that the project needs and deserves better talent.
– Collecting on Judgements if you win against a Contractor for everything from Small Claims to Major Stuff: The truth is that a piece of paper is gratifying yet very expensive and time consuming to get. The bad Contractors know this, and are counting on you not bothering to take them to court. However, should you be motivated enough to do so, remember that MOST Contractors have no assets. If they do have assets, then they still refuse to pay and make you spend more money to continue to chase after them in order to collect on the Judgement. Tired yet? They are counting on this. Every State has a Department of Consumer Protection and usually has a limited amount of monetary recovery that is available for Legal Judgements. However, it is a whole lot easier to protect yourself from the very beginning. Get a local, qualified, honorable Owner’s Representative FIRST before you start hiring anyone. Then hire a qualified CONSTRUCTION Attorney to protect you and to write ALL of the legal contracts that protect YOU.
– Never give big deposits. Mike Rosa of MMR Contracting warned my listeners of this in my January 4th, 2010 show. Sabine repeated this warning.
– Assume that if you live in a nice, well-known area that the price for goods and services are going to be inflated. Don’t get duped. Protect yourself, and take the time to respect your time and efforts enough to get the proper “team” assembled before starting any project.
– Finding a good team is tough. Many people, both White and Blue Collar, masquerade as professional and qualified when they are not. Not everyone is even consistently good….. so homework on your part is the most important and time consuming part of the project. It’s worth it!
Visit http://www.constructioncoach.com and get educated, prepared and find the right person for your job who is qualified, honorable, knowledgeable, and worthy of your home!
“Taking joy in living is a woman’s best cosmetic.”
— Rosalind Russell
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.”
You can hear this show on Podcast on http://www.WGCH.com Radio under “Conscious Lifestyles.”
My guest, Susie Wang, the founder of 100% Pure Cosmetics, explains how her amazing, organic, totally naturally healthy cosmetics are the ONLY cosmetics in the world made with 100% fruit and vegetables for their pigments.
100% Pure Cosmetics is the world’s only pure cosmetics company that holds the patent for using fruit and vegetable pigments that are 100% naturally derived and has NOTHING that is synthesized.
Susie Wang is so pure in her formulations that she also refused to use minerals in her formulations because she believes that many minerals are also questionable in their toxicity.
The result is a delicious blend of yummy cosmetics and body products…. When you wear the Strawberry blush it actually has a beautiful Strawberry scent! The lusciousness of her beautiful blends keep you coming back for more!
This beautiful company is both eco-friendly for the planet and for your face/body…. and the added benefit is they also have a charity to help rescue animals! How cool to support a company that is 100% in every aspect of life!
You have GOT to try this beautiful skin care, body care, and pure cosmetics!
I am currently in the process of getting all of my previous shows onto my web page: http://www.consciouslifestylesradio.com and this will be up and running within the next week….
Thanks for following my Eco/Organic Living radio show that gives practical tips on how to help to save our planet, and how to achieve true health for yourself, your family, your beloved animal children, in our food sources and choices, and as a consumer for green building, dental materials, eco-minded landscaping, and everything related to living your life on this earth!
It’s fun to be an eco-friendly consumer!
Starting with your body and understanding how to read labels is one of the most gratifying and important steps you can take to saving your own life and to saving our earth. Vote with your consumer choices….
Some very toxic, dangerous ingredients to watch out for [Don't buy any product-- even if it is labeled 'organic' or 'natural' -- that has these toxic ingredients]:
1.) Anything with the letters: “PEG” and a number after the letters! Susie Wang explained on the show that this hazardous chemical melted a lab table when she was working for a large, corporate cosmetics manufacturer! The question is WHY are they putting this neuro-toxin into commercially produced cosmetics, creams, and potions?
2.) Propylene Glycol [found in MANY creams, shampoos, etc.] VERY TOXIC.
3.) Phthalates [plasticizers]
4.) Petrolatum ["think" Vaseline!-- Petroleum is found in MOST commercially manufactured body care and even home cleaning products.... buyer beware.]
5.) Butyl Acetate [Primarily found in nail polish.]
6.) Butylated Hydroxytoluene [Found in everything toxically made because it slows down the rate at which the product will change color.]
7.) Coal Tar [used as a toxic softener and promotes the dissolution of rough skin-- but extremely damaging to your immune and nervous system.] This is also common in hair dyes. Don’t buy it.
8.) Cocamide DEA/Lauramide DEA [used as a foaming agent in shampoos and bath products, and as an emulsifying agent in cosmetics.] Don’t buy it.
9.) Diazolidinyl Urea [formaldehyde-releasing, anti-microbial preservative.] Linked to significant health issues and very dangerous as it is found in many, many products. Don’t buy it.
10.) Ethyl Acetate [Solvent] Skin irritant. Found in Nail polish products, mascara, tooth whitening, and many products. Don’t buy it.
11.) Formaldehyde [Disinfectant, germicide, fungicide, preservative.] In Deodorants, nail polish, soap, shampoo, shaving cream, household paints and cleaners that are mass-produced. ONLY buy products that are organically, small-batch made!
12.) Parabens [methyl, ethyl, propyl, butyl--- widely used as a cheap preservative to save manufacturing costs. Inhibits growth of bacteria.]
Present in mass-produced products and you MUST read labels. Can be found in moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners, hair styling gels, nail creams, makeup, skin lotions, deodorants, baby skin items, and too many products to name here. Don’t buy it.
12.) Sodium Laureth/Sodium Laurel Sulfate [Penetration enhancer.] Used in shampoos, conditioners, bar soap, body wash, face cleanser, liquid hand soap, acne treatment, hair dye, mascara, shaving products, moisturizer, toothpaste, sunscreen, makeup remover, and all commercially produced products that are toxic to your health. Be careful to read labels, as some “natural” or “organic” labels sneak this into their list of ingredients, too! The health concern is that it alters skin structure, and allows other toxic chemicals in the formulation to get into your blood stream. Don’t buy it.
13.) Talc [Absorbs moisture, and totally toxic to your body and linked to cancer in a big, BIG way.] Found in blush, powder products, eyeshadow, baby powder, deodorant, soap. A PROVEN carcinogen. Talc also also has air-born particles that are similar to Asbestos particles and studies have shown it can cause tumors in the lungs and Asthma. Don’t buy it.
14.) Toluene [Solvent to improve adhesion and gloss.] In nail polish, hair dye, colored cosmetics, and household paints. Causes a whole array toxicity in the body and the environment and has been found to cause Liver damage, and birth defects along with respiratory distress. Don’t buy it.
15.) Triethanolamine [A coating ingredient for fresh fruits and also used as a dispersing ingredient in hand and body lotions, shaving creams, soaps, shampoo, and bath powders. This toxic ingredient can
form carcinogenic compounds called "nitrosamines" when put onto skin and is one of the most dangerous cancer causing ingredients found in skin and household care today. Unbelievable that this is allowed to be manufactured into skin care products. Don't buy it.
The sad truth is that ALL skin care and makeup products are NOT regulated or even remotely watched over by anyone.
You as the consumer can create the change that we need by making yourself and everyone you know AWARE of these ingredients in mass-produced products that are highly advertised.... read labels, and DON'T BUY IT [and even write a letter to the manufacturer explaining why you will refuse to buy anything they make until they clean up their act!]
Your voice and your MONEY CHOICES will bring the safe cosmetics that we all deserve to the mass market.
Until this happens, there are a good handful of companies, like 100% Pure Cosmetics, that are way ahead of the curve and actually CARE about your body, your health, the environment, and make BETTER PERFORMING cosmetics and body care products to boot!
So make the change to HEALTH and true wellness! It’s fun, easy, and sooooo beautiful! You won’t ever go back to the chemical cosmetics….
In fact, when I learned the truth, I put on a mask and gloves and carefully emptied all of my toxic cosmetics and recycled the plastic/glass jars after washing them in non-toxic, healthy earth dish soap!
Go green in your cosmetics, and you will experience the wonderful metamorphasis into a Natural Beauty, a Healthy Beauty, and a True Beauty on the inside and on the outside!
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
March 1st, 2010 Show: Gene Baur of Farm Sanctuary Interviewed: What’s Really Behind The Cruelty in Factory Farms and Slaughterhouses? How Can The Consumer Be The Pathway To A Revolution?March 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM | Posted in 33316337, Animal Redemption & Environment, Conscious Lifestyles Radio Show Blog, Eco Living and Lifestyle, Farm Animals Need Rescue, Organic Health, Permaculture, Truthful Healthcare | 1 Comment
This mother and baby cow are lucky, as they are on a small [family owned farm] and NOT crowded in a big Agri-business facility. This baby would have been ripped away from his mother hours after birth if this had been a facility that produces most milk and animal products.
BTW- the crying of both the mother and the baby the moment the baby is forever ripped away from the mother is heart wrenching and enough to make anyone stop and demand justice for these sentient beings.
So you think that buying “Organic” labeled beef, cheese, butter, and other animal products is okay because they must be ‘cruelty free?’ The surprising answer is an astounding, “NO!”
On a happy note: Did you also know that eating raw, organic vegetables and fruit makes you more imaginative, creative, and increases your right brain abilities?
Farm Sanctuary co-founder, Mr. Gene Baur, gives my listeners a lot of great information about staying healthy by making better food choices that just so happen to be better for the planet and help to stop the cruel, inhumane, torturous practices in factory farms!
Vote with your dollars and spend your money on healthy, humane food….. Demand truth in labeling and make your voice heard by your personal lifestyle choices.
The benefits of Vegetarian and Vegan lifestyles: You look, feel and act younger…. have more energy…. think more clearly…. longevity…. conquer all modern diseases…. more beautiful…. and the satisfaction of defeating corruption in the giant, bloated agri-businesses that abuse animals for profit.
We must demand that ‘Agriculture’ be taken out of the World Trade Organization. The GMO Industry has worked hard to corrupt the practice of raising crops and has damaged our environment to boot.
People are powerful against these agri-businesses when they unite in big numbers. Remember, the big Biotech firms are unrelenting in their underhanded tactics to “back door” their legislation to keep their gross, inhumane practices because there is big money for them…. but only destruction of our environment for the rest of us who inhabit the earth.
Chickens are left in cages that are only 8″x12″ large and are packed into these factory-farm cages after their beaks have been brutally severed off their faces. They stand in their own filth and are often starved for several days in order to create a physical reaction of the chicken to produce more eggs.
Do NOT buy factory farmed eggs, and do NOT believe labeling of “Free Range.” Be particularly aware that eggs from Pennsylvania are most likely raised inhumanely and you should be a consumer who does their own homework.
These hens are lucky ones…. they actually get to be outside on the dirt and normally socializing with one another…. this is very UNcommon in the egg production industry.
All farm animals are highly social, intelligent living beings who share the same feelings of love, awareness and family that the human animal experiences.
For a baby animal to be ripped away from their mother is totally inhumane, but the milk is what the factory farms care about… the money and not the ethics or good practices is what motivates factory farms.
Pigs are highly intelligent. They are so intelligent that they are related to the Dolphin!
The conditions that these intelligent, highly social animals are raised in would turn the stomach of any decent human being. We are kept conveniently away from the reality of the grotesquely terrible conditions that pigs are raised in. The factory farms don’t want you to know…. but it should be your right to have full disclosure of what your tax dollars are subsidizing. This needs to stop.
All pork products are tainted with a deadly parasite that cannot be cooked out and to be even more to the point: These animals are horrifically slaughtered and the filth of this wretched practice contaminates the flesh of these animals. Do your health and the world a favor: Don’t eat pork products whatsoever!
Check out http://www.farmsanctuary.org
Make a donation. Be a voice.
“The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men.”
– Alice Walker
Tags: Save Our Natural Resources
February 22, 2010 show: Dr. Jeff Schweitzer, Author of many environmentally important books such as: “Beyond Cosmic Dice: Moral Life in a Random World,” and “Vote to Save the Planet: Your Guide To The Issues That Matter,” and “Healing The Heart of the World.” … and these are only three of his many amazing books to get people around the world to take action for our environment!
This is one of my favorite shows, and I believe that the information that we can all walk away with from even a few minutes of talking to someone like Dr. Schweitzer is to become a voice for our natural world before it is too late– life simply cannot be sustained with this chaotic, unchecked level of disrespect for our natural resources.
Check out Jeff’s many great books and ideas on what we can do today:
Posted using ShareThis
Congratulations to “The Cove” Documentary, Ric O’Barry and the awesome Film Producers for their BIG WIN at the Academy Awards! WoooooHoooo!March 9, 2010 at 7:35 AM | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
My January 18th, 2010 show was with Ric O’Barry of The Cove and what we can do, as citizens of this world, to save the Dolphins from the horrors of this massacre that will cause their extinction if we do not take action immediately.
You can listen to my show on Podcast on my Website, http://www.consciouslifestylesradio.com
Congratulations to Ric O’Barry, the Director Louie Psihoyos, and the entire Production team who risked their own lives to bring the world this most important political and environmental issue.
All good people, the time is now to respond by taking part in the rescue of these beautiful, magnificent, intelligent, important, graceful Angels of the Oceans.
Visit http://www.thecovemovie.com to see how you can help the Dolphins today.